Regulars might recognise some familiar faces in the photos below.
The latest news is that the house is being renovated. Construction of the new wing has progressed thus far:
The rear wall is to be replaced with the potential addition of windows. The new wing will include a front door and windows. The indoor walls remain unsecured and no front wall exists because I failed to purchase the correct type of nail (bullet head 25mm) last time I was at the hardware shop. I need to return sometime over the weekend to collect further supplies for another project so that should be corrected soon …
Curtains are as yet unplanned and await decisions about window placement and paint. Carpet and tiles await in readiness. The Black Dog and populace await their new home with bated breath (while I look forward to watching visiting kids play with the doll house. My niece is especially fond of removing the mermaids from the bath toy collection and populating the house with these).
My other project is something that I have undertaken just because I figured that I could make one and because I know I’ll use it. I was sure I could. I worked out how. Then I even found a DIY leaflet at the local hardware centre that agreed with my plan! So I am making my very first home-made book-case. We shall see how it turns out! It should be extra good, because as an added improvement, while I have been building I have acquired a ROUTER (gotta love the power tools!) and so I shall be setting my shelves into the upright pieces of wood. I cut the groove straight across both pieces side by side to make sure that I got them at the same height when I measured them all up – so it should work.
Time will tell. I now only have to get the pine lining for the back – they only had bendy bits left when I was buying wood the other day and that would have made slotting the wood together near on impossible – so I decided to go back when they got more in. Plan is to do a layer of stain before construction so there’s no pokey little corners. Construct, then one or two more coats of stain depending on what the pigment does. Finally, I’ll finish it up with some estapol with a nice satin finish.
Next one I make I won’t space the shelves evenly though, I’ll make a couple taller and shrink a couple so that it will hold folders and such. This one is just for books so it’ll do.